AGC Glass Europe’s Sustainability Report is now online, and covers the environmental achievements of the company’s two divisions: Building and Industrial Glass, and Automotive Division.
The achievements are the result of the continuous commitment of all the sites of AGC Glass Europe, and include:
- Energy production. The total output of the photovoltaic installations at the sites reached 6697MWh in 2016.
- Air. On a comparable basis, per tonne of glass sold, AGC has reduced its direct CO2 emissions by 11% since 2002. There has been a reduction of around 45% in the specific dust emissions since 1998.
- Water. From 1998 to 2016, AGC has managed to reduce the water consumption by 71% on a comparable basis.
- Solid waste. Today, the amount of solid waste produced by the Group is around 230,000 tonnes/year, of which around 98% is further recycled or recovered on site by the suppliers or contractors.
- Transport. 72% of all raw materials is transported by ship or train, taking about 54,500 trucks per year off the road. In 2016, about 88,000 tonnes of finished glass products were transported in combined train and truck transport, taking about 4,400 trucks per year off the road.
- Packaging. Today most of the glass packaging is reusable. AGC Glass Europe achieves a very high level of packaging reuse. In Belgium 98% of the packaging is reused.
- Recycling. AGC Glass Europe recycles around 1,000,000 tonnes of cullet per year, saving about 1,150,000 tonnes of raw material and 300,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions.