Glass Times editor Nathan Bushell reviews the recent G Awards.
Congratulations to Tony Higgin and the other organisers for a superb event on Friday.
The G Awards have cemented themselves as a key event in the glass and glazing calendar, and, with GGF and Fensa contributing to the winners’ tally, there is an increasing authority about the event.
Furthermore, Russell Kane proved to be an excellent host, and was very comfortable in his surroundings; he undoubtedly helped the proceedings bounce along with just the right amount of humour and irreverence.
And yet… We still see the same faces weave their way through the auditorium to the stage, with winners having to miss the post-win interview in order to present the next award.
The G Awards have always grown and remained relevant, and I think the next step in that development is for there to be greater involvement from more companies across our industry.
What we don’t want is for the awards to become a niche event. When the call goes out for submissions to the 2018 event, I urge everyone to reflect on the successes of their companies, and submit entries accordingly. I also urge the GGF and Fensa to use their influence in the industry to encourage members to take part.
In the end, while winners walk away with a deserved gong, all of us benefit from an industry that celebrates its achievements from the many, not the few.
And the winners are:
- Glass Company of the Year – Global Glass
- Fabricator of the Year – Glazerite UK Group
- Installer of the Year – SEH BAC
- New Product of the Year – Heritage Flush Sash by Deceuninck
- Derek Bonnard Award of Excellence – Thermoseal Group
- Component Supplier of the Year – Mila
- Conservatory Installer of the Year – Thistle Windows & Conservatories
- Promotional Campaign of the Year (Trade) – Real Aluminium
- Promotional Campaign of the Year (Retail) – SEH BAC
- Customer Care Initiative of the Year – Glassolutions
- Commercial Project of the Year – HSSP Architects & Oxted Window Systems for the Baily Building
- Training & Development Initiative of the Year – Epwin Windows Group
- G17 Unsung Hero Award – Danny Barnett, Solidor
- Fensa Installation of the Year – Artisan Conservatories & Windows, Clwyd
- GGF Lifetime Achievement Award – Greg O’Donoghue