Fensterbau 2020 under pressure to delay further
Fensterbau’s 2020 outing is looking precarious, after a European PVCU trade association pulled its support.
Fensterbau Frontale and Holz-Handwerk 2020 had been moved to June 16-17 2020 in response to the increasing spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19).
Despite this, the European PVC Window Profile and related Building Products Association (Eppa), announced on March 19 that its members and co-exhibitors would not participate.
“The largest players in the European PVC profile market agree that the current Covid-19 crisis does not allow the organisation of, and participation to, the fair,” Eppa said in a statement.
PVCU companies affected include Aluplast, Deceuninck, Rehau, Schueco and Veka. Profine is also believed to be abstaining from the show.
“Due to the tense situation, the June date is very unlikely, so a new date should be found in the more distant future,” Charlotte Röber, managing director of Eppa, said.
Fensterbau’s organisers said they took into account the principles for risk assessment of major events adopted by the German government’s crisis management group, and the current recommendation of the Bavarian State Government for international exhibitions.
“The protection of the health and safety of exhibitors, visitors and employees is a top priority for NürnbergMesse,” the event’s organiser said in a statement. “In awareness of this responsibility and after careful consideration and evaluation of the current situation, the management board of NürnbergMesse has decided on this necessary protective measure.”
Petra Wolf, member of the management board of NürnbergMesse, said: “We expressly thank all customers, partners and media representatives for the understanding they have shown regarding our decision to postpone Fensterbau Frontale and Holz-Handwerk 2020.
“We are pleased about the high level of commitment in the industry – after intensive deliberations and numerous positive discussions with national and international customers, we have chosen the new date in June.”
Elke Harreiss, director at Fensterbau Frontale, said: “Maintaining and expanding business relations remain more than important in turbulent times like these. What is decisive now is that the industry stands together and tries to make the best out of this situation.”
Before the latest announcement from Eppa, Gareth Jones, managing director of Profine UK, whose parent company is one of the largest exhibitors at the show, told Glass Times that the company welcomed the decision.
“The health of our trade fair team and of all our guests comes first,” he said. “Let us hope together that general preventive measures and necessary action can prevent a further spread of the virus.”
In 2022, Fensterbau Frontale and Holz-Handwerk will take place in March again.